Our client a well-known Chicago area manufacturer of Medical Equipment and Disposables seeks a Corporate Controller to report directly to the General Manager.
Provides leadership, counsel and expertise regarding matters affecting the company’s profitability, financial stability, forecasting and compliance with regulatory and business practices. The position contributes overall attainment of corporate objectives and ensures the financial reporting, accounting and information systems are operated in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
- Ability to act with courtesy, work with confidence, and not demonstrate arrogance; ability to be open-minded and ready to learn from others.
- Ability to act first or on your own without prompting by others; ability to introduce something new, e.g., product, service, or process; future focused.
- Ability to identify and harness the emotions of others and yourself to achieve positive outcomes.
- Ability to take ownership of work and deliver on expected outcomes, e.g., timeliness, quality, quantity, etc.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a group of people that is response for a shared outcome.
- Set clear and high expectations, provide feedback, assess performance.
- Take measures to reduce or eliminate risks (technical, monetary, timing, etc.) associated with a project, process, etc.
- Ability to make considered decisions to reach sensible conclusions by being situationally aware, analytical, decisive, intuitive, insightful, pragmatic, and adaptable.
- Ability to review data/information for relevance, patterns, trends, etc.
- Ability to define a problem generate alternative solutions, evaluate and select an alternative, and implement the solution.
- Strategic Planning
- Manage financial forecasting the operational plan. Analyze and interpret financial results.
- Ensure annual financial budgets align with business plans, monitoring progress, and influencing focus on areas requiring attention.
- Initiate, lead and support strategic activities: championing change.
- Finance and Asset Control
- Ensure the financial and accounting areas operate efficiently and effectively.
- Design/monitor systems and processes to evaluate financial performance of the organization.
- Ensure duties and taxes are managed according to company objectives.
- Ensure liquid assets and managed and securely and effectively utilized.
- Coordinate and prepare, in conjunction with all functional leaders, annual sales, operating, and capital budgets.
- Financial Reporting
- Prepare required monthly and annual reports, tax returns and budgets.
- Prepare audit working papers and assist outside auditors.
- Ensure reconciliation of general ledger to subsidiary journals.
- Examine collection of accounts receivable
- Manage corporate cash, investments and debt.
- Maintain contact with corporate bankers.
- Maintain cost system.
- Collaborate with Director of Operations to resolve material and labor variances.
- Ensure establishment of manufacturing standards for products
- Ensure accurate financial statement narratives to the Vice President and Senior Leadership team.
- Effectively communicate with Business Development, Sales, Marketing, Operations and Human Resources to ensure feasible integration of all initiatives and plans.
- Staff Management and Leadership
- Manage accountant and accounts payable clerk
- Establish a plan for staff development
- Collaborate with Human Resources to ensure a consistent administration of policies, goals and objectives.
- Accountable for leadership of company’s commitment to maintaining ISO requirements, overall continuous improvement and superior customer satisfaction.
- Manages accurate execution of payroll and ensures compliance with federal laws
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- Health and Safety
- Contribute to a safe work environment by complying with all federal & state laws, company’s policies, procedures and OSHA, if applicable
Qualifications, Skills and Working Conditions
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Registered CPA
- 5 Years of experience in effectively contributing as Controller or Director of Finance.
- At least 12 years of broad and varied experience in area of expertise is required with strong manufacturing cost accounting experience.
- Knowledge of ERP Systems
- Experience in filing multi-state and federal quarterly and annual tax returns.
Specialized Skill or Knowledge:
- Solid business sense an acumen
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Seasoned oral and written communication skills, ability to effectively make formal presentation, liase and negotiate.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Exposure to multi-location business is ideal
- Clean office environment
- Up to 25% travel, including international travel